Bug 20117: new rc2 sets a backdrop, and preferences for same

Ali Lloyd ali.lloyd at livecode.com
Wed Jul 19 15:06:53 EDT 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 5:58 PM Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <

> How about *offering* to put up the backdrop for the tutorial, rather than
> imposing it?

Well, we were acting in direct response to a whole lot of feedback from new
users who didn't seem to like the idea of seeing 'through' LiveCode to
their desktops.

If we get corresponding feedback that they *don't* like having the backdrop
(we didn't get such feedback at the first user testing) then we would for
sure make it an option. But honestly, the fewer questions a user is asked
about their default preferences the better. Imagine having to answer on
startup whether you want the palettes to disappear when you open the script
editor, and whether you want an HTTP proxy, and what colour you want your
selection handles to be, and whether you would like to see default handlers
in the handler list, and whether you would like to see property labels
instead of property names in the property inspector.

Surely the most sensible route here is to decide on defaults and see if
people for whom those defaults are relevant have any objections? I'm not
sure it is necessary to be offended on behalf of hypothetical new users :-)