Bug 20117: new rc2 sets a backdrop, and preferences for same

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jul 19 13:09:08 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-19 19:04, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> On 7/19/17 7:15 pm, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:
>> I had never heard of backdrop before, and would have had no idea to
>> try to
>> deal with it in the message box.
>
> That's funny; that backdrop goes back to at least the Free revMedia
> thing.

The backdrop has been there as a feature for as long as I can remember.

I'm pretty sure it was in MetaCard before it was ported to non UNIX
platforms (back then you *could* actually set a background window with
an appropriate hint that worked with the X11 Window Managers as they
didn't tend to work in concert with 'desktops' which use that hint to
make the Desktop window you see on all modern distros - if you use that
class of window now, your backdrop window disappears behind the Desktop
- which isn't quite what is wanted, generally ;)).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps