Bug 20117: new rc2 sets a backdrop, and preferences for same

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jul 19 07:14:07 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-19 12:50, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> Lumpy custard!

Just like your grandmother used to make?* ;)

> Other people who have commented on this are all "on this list";
> otherwise they would have been unable to comment.

Indeed - my point was simply that due to a bug which we obviously did
not notice before release, the default backdrop ON option was not
limited to those who were experiencing the 'first run' of the product.
Thus meaning, that it affected existing users (which was not our
intent).

> What kind of 'analysis' would that constitute?

So, at the user testing session, copious notes are taken, and discussed
afterwards. We also ask people involved to write up their experience and
give us feedback on specific points (and generally), these are also
discussed. This then allows us to have some idea how 'good' an idea is -
i.e. whether it is worth its cost balanced against its effectiveness.

In this case, the question is this:

For brand new users of LiveCode, who have never seen it before (and
quite possibly never used a programming environment before) does having
a backdrop in place initially help them in their first steps with the
product, particularly from the point of view of doing the first run
tutorials.

This is of course a slightly wooly and subjective question. However, it
is probably a good idea if over 50% of people we try it out on (from
various different groups - with different backgrounds) think it has
actually 'helped'.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. As a child, I used to frequently comment on the consistency of my
grandmother's custard... Her general response was "You grandfather likes
it thick, boy!"

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps