Livecode server, timeout and processes

jbv jbv at souslelogo.com
Mon Jul 17 06:55:19 EDT 2017

Hello forum

A few days ago I ran into a severe problem with livecode server.
A subtil and unexpected change in the way one of my clients inputs
data via his app caused an endless loop to appear in one of the LC
scripts on the server, which lead to a 504 Gateway Timeout error.
As this script is called during a login procedure, it triggered
pretty quickly a kind of chain reaction with many side effects :
- many 504 Gateway Timeout errors in browsers
- many 500 Internal server errors
- huge slow down of the server
- emails not sent/nor received in webmails
- several other services unavailable due to server slowdown...

All these problems were caused by the accumulation of livecode
server processes on the server that kept running even if timeout
errors were issued.
As the source of the problem took a few hours to track down and
to fix, we (on-rev support and I) had to kill dozens of processes
manually to avoid any server crash.

I know this might sound amateuristic to most of you, but nevertheless
I was wondering if there is any way to prevent something like that,
like for instance having all timedout processes to be killed
automatically, or even better : avoiding any endless loop in the first
place...

Thanks in advance.
jbv