[ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-8

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Jul 13 19:55:23 EDT 2017

> On 14 Jul 2017, at 7:53 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> panagiotis wrote:
>
> > We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-8.
> > - A new HTTPd script library has been added. The HTTP Server
> > library can be used to receive and respond to HTTP requests
> > in your application.
>
> A very valuable addition.  I'm curious about what prompted that development effort, and does it support HTTPS connections, or CGI?

One of my recent projects has been to create a test runner for HTML5. So all our tests that we run on the CI server are bundled up into a HTML5 app and run. In order to get the results back into LiveCode I made the simple HTTP server to handle callbacks that the HTML5 engine sends when it is served from localhost. I separated it into a script library so I could reuse it down the track in FileMaker for web views. I expect others will like to use it for serving browser widget content etc too. It is a rather simplified server script but it’s open source so if you need more than it offers feel free to send a PR. It doesn’t have a normal CGI interface. As the request comes in a callback is delivered to the object that started the server so your response can be dynamically generated.

> > New experimental features:
> >
> > - [Experimental] A new "Mac Native Button" widget is added to
> > LiveCode's widget collection.
>
> The Dictionary for this new version doesn't load on Linux this time (hangs the process actually, one of the known issues), so forgive this question probably answered there:
>
> Does the syntax for that button style use "button" or "widget”?

widget

> What does this do differently from the "Standard" button style?

It’s the actual native view rather than us getting details of how to draw a button from the OS and drawing it ourselves. It’s mainly an example but it would be useful for layering a button over another native view.

> Does it have the same properties and message handling options we're used to with buttons?

Not yet. I believe it only has mouseUp.

Cheers

Monte