LiveCode 8, LiveCode 9, their intersection and other questions.

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 13 17:48:01 EDT 2017

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > I am also interested to know if new features initially tried in the
 > 8.x.x series are being "pushed forward" whether any features in 9 are
 > going to be backported into the 8.x.x. series.

I don't understand "pushed forward", but each new version should be a
superset of the last, so everything in v8 will be in v9 and more.

As for backporting, LC folks explained here that with v8 forward they're
back to the sort of conventional development patterns we see with most
software:

Once any given version goes Stable, new features go into a new version,
Some critical bug fixes will go into both, but to minimize risk of
regressions feature additions are kept to a minimum in Stable versions.

When a new version becomes Stable, work ends on the older version, and a
newer version is begun for adding new features.

Work on 7 and earlier ended when v8 was released as Stable.  When 9
becomes Stable work on v8 will end, and v10 will be created for new
features, and so on.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems