Google Static Maps Demo Available

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 01:33:40 EDT 2017

Mark:
Yes, you’ve done it all. It was intended just to demo the display of a Google Static Map and show how to get the corners of the image so the lat/lon of the mouse position could be calculated. To do that, I had to rely oh Hermann’s expertise with Javascript to convert a posted solution to LCS. I spent time carefully checking that the corners calculation agreed with the box plotted by the maps api. The map image is also slightly stretched horizontally (to fit my own project map size) and I had to do some tweaking to the corners code to make that work.

The links to the Google API get the programmer to the web site that tells how to display streets, display a map of a particular city or other feature, add symbols, etc. For those who need to do that, this should help. It’s pretty trivial to change the URL params, so I felt I could leave that to the user. Actually, the entire thing is pretty trivial, but it did take me quite a bit of time, thrashing through the details because I’d never worked with the Google maps api, so perhaps others might find it useful.

My project will continue and plot data on a captured image, scroll the map, etc. I hadn’t planned on including that part in the demo, but could, if requested.

Best,
Bill P