synonyms

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jul 4 13:37:17 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-04 19:14, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 07/04/2017 01:18 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> Quite right. After I posted that bit I realized that after 'fixing'
> the parser one would also need to deal with the complexities of
> assigning the variables, and the issues arising from allowing 'local'
> declarations when local variables may or may not already be assigned,
> etc.

Not to mention the actual passing of them around (i.e. the internal
representation, and not just the syntactic representation); how they
interact as things pass through the message path; how they might bind
when called from languages such as JavaScript (from the browser - e.g.
the recently added ability to the HTML5 engine); or, indeed, from other
languages as LiveCode evolves to interoperate more heavily; how they
might be 'compiled' in the future to native code...

The list of considerations for addition of any general language feature
often ends up being as long as your proverbial arm.

Of course, once when has figured out all the potential issues and
complexities which arise from such an addition, you then actually have
to implement it.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps