Sharp as a pound (was Array assignment...)

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jul 4 03:28:02 EDT 2017

On 2017-06-29 18:45, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> So long as we all generally agree that "#" can be called "pound, Hash
> or Sharp" (not so sure I agree with the last one btw) then we can talk
> about it. So far as the computer is concerned, it's ascii(035) and
> even that is a synonym for 00100010.

'Sharp' because it is used in music to denote sharpening of the base
note (despite my musical background, I still see it as 'hash' in my mind
when I see it though).

Just noting something Alex said about # not being directly accessible on
Mac (it is Alt/Option - 3) - I always found this somewhat amusing... I
often wondered if it is because in the early days Apple favoured Pascal
as its primary implementation language beyond assembly - if it had been
C I suspect it would have been more accessible as C code (particularly
going back decades) uses # quite a lot...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps