Browser Widget/HTML5/LC Integration

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Jan 29 12:59:59 EST 2017

Until we hear that HQ is listening or want to know more I'll keep it short

1) SVG requirements

rendering this would be a minimum. If here is a way to do it now in LC let me know

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/assets/img/khm-logo-full-horizontal.svg

resize your browser, it remains perfect!

More robust example… not currently set to resize, (but could be)

http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/SivaSivaDiagram.svg

2) Yes I am using the browser widget to show pages on our web site. Even that has lots of issues, but we are working with it. and HQ has been responsive on the issue of thecontent rendering in odd rects.. though I am still seeing this in 8.1.3  need to do more testing in the next few days… we made be forced out to use launch URL and send the user off the LC app into the browser app on the phone.. (rather not have to do that)

3) HTML Integration has two use cases (in my current purview, there could be more)

  i. simple views

this can be created in less than 5 minutes the view consists of  a few lines

<ul class="flexdiv">
	<li class="flexpanel1"> Mangos</li>
	<li class="flexpanel2"> Mangos</li>
	<li class="flexpanel1"> Papayas</li>
	<li class="flexpanel2"> Chiku</li>
<ul>

touch of CSS and you get this:

http://wiki.hindu.org/uploads/gui-eg.html

responsive, easily tweaked if the content people want another four rows in the panel, cut and paste, changing props, sure, it's a text file, but so what… change one integer value and all rows change.

This simply cannot be done that easily created in Livecode. (Please don't respond with "yes we can make this in LC" I know you can, but to scale change and make it responsive change colors on all objects in the group at once etc.. you need to be an old xTalk wizard with toolboxes)

  Now if touch events, JS handlers, for a small HTML5 widget/view could talk back to LC controllers and models and actually call a function and get the return value synchronously then we have a power house  combination…

build simple gui views in html… robust LC backend.

  ii. full web app integration
       - This is a recent app we released, HTML5 done in Ionic/Angular2
       - I can actually copy the core pages/js/css assets and drop them in a folder in an LC app and point the browser widget (URL) to the index.html file and the app runs perfectly, right inside the browser widget.
      -- trouble is I can't really get a robust handshaking going on. LC can "poke" the app (but get nothing in return) and the web app can "poke" LC (but get nothing in return)  and we need more for true integration
   This is more like Jonathan's use case: It's not only about creating views, it's also about the possibility of wrapping existing complex web apps in an LC framework… but we need the browser widget's javascript handlers to be, basically, in the message path up and down.

HQ gave me a quote on doing this, but it's out our budgets, I fishing for anyone else who might be interested to pitch in.

 back to work here..

On 1/28/17, 3:45 PM, "Richard Gaskin via use-livecode" <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

    Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

    > So as not to burden this list which  "use" list and not a "complain"
    > list  I have responded to you at length directly.

    ...ands yet here we are, so we might as well enjoy the discussion.

    > 1) the graphics rendering layer of LC is behind the graphics
    > rendering layer of the browser

    Likely, but since both Chrome and LC use Skia we'd have to look a little
    deeper.

    Specifics are helpful.

    > 2) an IDE that provides a tool box for super elegant 21st century UI
    >  -- smooth, responsive, easy to change the Look/Feel even my attempts
    > with AnimationEngine  which is, I believe as good as it's going to
    > ever get with LC's engine, have a clunky, jerky feel e.g. try a ken
    > burns: move the image while simultaneously increasing is rect in
    > proportion. even rotating a ball around a circular path… has this
    > subtle "1990" feel to it vs the same thing done with CSS animation
    > in the browser. Maybe not an issue for all those whose use case is
    > business/systems/tools etc. but in our shop it has to look fabulous
    > or the horse is not considered a viable vehicle for the content
    > delivery. Period end of discussion.

    That's a good use case.  UIs are increasingly animated, so animation
    performance is increasingly useful.

    Anyone on the team listening in and can offer some insight into this?

    > 3) robust surport for SVG (not just a single color) on top of 1 and 2
    > above

    What limitations currently exist in the SVG widget?

    Let's identify the remaining specifics and see if we can get a plan
    together to handle those.

    > Isn’t the dictionary html in a widget? Why? There's one answer to
    > your question from HQ itself.

    I believe the Dictionary is indeed using the Browser widget.

    My question is why, since that content doesn't require full HTML
    rendering, doesn't it use a field object?

    But at this point my question is not for the team.  They already have
    the Dictionary in pretty good order, and the remaining nits can be
    addressed without a complete rewrite easily enough.

    My question would be for any community members eager to explore
    alternate designs.

    > If a player serves to provide the space to show content develop on
    > another platform (video/Premiere)
    >
    > Why not the browser widget to provide a space to show HTML5?

    There is a browser widget.  I believe I'd read an earlier post in which
    you said you're using it, so I don't understand this question.