8.1.3 (RC1) Invoking Script Editor Failing Everywhere

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Jan 26 21:44:06 EST 2017

Turns out it was one of my plug ins… you can see the bug report where the problem was attributed to the DataGrid Helper… but I don't use the DGH and I had problems with an old old stack I've had for 15 years called "Favorites.livecode" build circa 2000 or earlier and migrating forward over time. Small toolbox, with launch menu, some buttons for testing "stuff" etc…

there's really nothing unusual about its properties, it's not lock or cantDelete or anything like that. no odd open stack or preopenstack handlers that would do weird things, but if it is in my plugins folder 8.1.3 "dies in chaos"  take it out, put in others (like your 4thworld ones andsome of Scotts) it works just fine.

I sent the stack in with the bug report.  It *is* quite possible that there is some horrible legacy code in a button for a test done in 2002 or something… and the handler contains lines that are "bad code" from 8.1.3… but I don't think the IDE steaps through *all* the code of every plugin… so??

lead me to the question: we know here that some legacy documents that were, for example created in Quark Express, then exported to InDesign then used as templates over several years.. will gradually become corrupt in mysterious ways are indiscernable to the user… presumably at some binary level that does not actually cause the program to crash but enough to cause a lot of trouble

could the same be with old, old, old LC stacks?

We'll see it will be interesting to find out what HQ spots….

    > -- from the Project Browser, double clicking on in the icon with the
    >    number of lines in a script does not invoke that script in the SE
    > -- opening the PI for an object with an assigne behavior: click "edit
    >     script" the script for the assigne behavior does not open

    I'm unable to reproduce those last two; both work as expected here.