AW: Boring but important - selling a download product for Windows

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Mon Jan 23 12:01:24 EST 2017

Hi all.

Here's what I've learned from many years of providing PC downloads:

* Email attachments are heavily filtered and rightly so. Use this only as a
last resort for delivery of a program.
* These days, fewer people are willing to download a trial version, in part
due to Norton, but also many organizations' IT block all downloads. If you
provide both a good, fast demo video and a trial version download, then
users can choose what works and is comfortable for them.
* Once a person buys your product, she is much more committed to downloading
your product and will be less put off by obstacles. But expect to provide
some support or guidance.
* The big value of code signing is it's a mark of professionalism and
usually reduces OS suspicion. I agree it is a slight that Norton treats
small developers and new releases as dubious. But, remember, Norton isn't on
all machines, so don't let Norton guide all your decisions.
* I use a traditional installer (Innosetup) because it looks professional,
ensures the app is installed with admin rights and into the right location,
displays a license and readme doc, creates desktop shortcut to the app, and
includes an uninstaller (also code signed).
* For download links, avoid redirects and use an https or other secure
connection method to link to your download files. It helps establish trust
if your download file is on the same domain as your site.
* Fifteen years ago, download sites were useful. Today, they compete with
your site for search engine visibility and sometimes repackage your app with
their own installers that add adware or malware. Avoid!

Hope that helps.
Tom Bodine