AW: AW: Why do I still need MacToISO, when working with UTF-8?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Jan 16 12:24:43 EST 2017

Hi Tiemo,

> thank you for taking your time and clarifying. I wasn't aware that the
> internal format on a Mac client is MacRoman. I thought it would be a
> "neutral" UTF-8 format.

Internally, the engine uses either MacRoman/ISO-Latin1 *or* UTF-16
depending on platform and what the string contains.

However, the 'endpoints' (i.e. where the developer can 'see' encoded
text output - e.g. when writing to a file, or encoding for a URL) had to
remain as before otherwise all existing applications using anything
other than ASCII text would have broken when moving from 6.7 -> 7.0.

You can use the 'utf8' keyword to open utf-8 encoded files; however, you
have to deal with urlEncode manually (which isn't necessarily a bad
thing, since your server scripts determines what the URL Encoded bytes
mean after the '?' - NOT LiveCode).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps