Subject - LiveCode - I'm not a very happy Bunny

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 03:12:20 EST 2017

I thought the theory was that getting lots of people to use the open
source version would lead
to all sorts of benefits to LiveCode:

1. A certain proportion of O.S. users would contribute with bug reports
and so on.

2. A certain proportion of O.S. users would, in due course, pay for a
commercial licence when they
     felt a need to protect their code from prying eyes.

However, if the "road to the isles" (how to get hold of the O.S.
version) is hidden away down the bottom of
LiveCode's website's landing page, instead of being "right there", the
chances of that uptake seems
minimal.

I do get the feeling that LiveCode have an ambivalent view to their
decision to release an O.S. version;
part of which may be that points #1 and #2 have not happened with such a
whoosh as perhaps they
had hoped. But this is a circular situation which, I believe, might get
untangled if LiveCode shouted louder, and all and everywhere, about
their O.S. version, as well as presenting one of those easy-to-ken charts
showing the differences between the 3 versions of LiveCode they produce
that is easily accessible to
people who find their way (and part of the problem in "find their way"
rather than
"have it rammed down their throats") to LiveCode's website.

I have made most of my teaching resources and sample stacks available to
people here:

http://community.computingatschool.org.uk/door

nobody seems really interested, because they are all stuck on C++,
Python and VB.Net. Could that
be because, if they get to the LiveCode page the first thing they see is
an "expensive" piece of
software?

This is, to put things mildly, "an awful pity".

Richmond.