TS Net for Indy vs Business

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Jan 6 11:09:56 EST 2017

Exactly what I was thinking when I read it. My greatest aprehension in using Livecode is that one day it will be gone, and I will have to learn to use C++ or Objective C, which is to say I will have to give up software development. I'm not really sure how they stay afloat as is, but as I develop strictly for in house use for my company, and not because they want me to either, but because I happen to know that what I have created for them vastly simplifies and streamlines my workflow and that of my techs, all that to say that I pay for LC development out of pocket. the $700 a year hurts. But I pay it because I need the features Indy offers, and I also think  that if I am not going to contribute to the open source project (like I have anything to contribute) then my paying for the Indy license once a year is my way of supporting it.

I suppose it is how you choose to look at things. I remember getting really excited about Filemake Standalones until I discovered I would have to pay a distribution fee for *every single instance* of a distributed app!!! Oh yeah, and developing for Filemaker sucks goose eggs. Also I come from a background of Procedural Foxpro where creating a form meant "saying" text at different window coordinates, then "getting" whatever the user typed in. There was no program interaction during a read. No events triggered. Foxpro was in a coma. And, it took forever to write and troubleshoot even minor changes, compared to Livecode.

You can write a functional utility in a matter of minutes, debug it in a few hours, make it pretty inside of a day. Compile and distribute it no charge. AND they offer a free edition. I'm not sure anyone has any room to complain here.

Bob S