Foundation Framework

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jan 3 16:40:07 EST 2017

On 1/3/17 1:54 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> I wonder how many programmers are going to spend their money on LiveCode
> if they are aware that at a certain point they are going to have to
> leverage one or more other programming languages to achieve
> certain things.

No one needs to learn any other language. Since the LC team understands
that most users don't want to learn lower-level languages like C++,
they've provided an intermediate language -- LCB -- that meets the
requirement halfway. For those who know or don't mind learning C or its
variants, they can tap directly into OS frameworks to achieve even more.

None of this means that you yourself need to actually write those
things, or that the capabilities of LC have somehow diminished. It isn't
any different than writing externals, which have been around forever and
which we use with abandon without understanding a single line of the
underlying code.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com