Size of Image in RAM

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Feb 8 00:35:41 EST 2017

You say the mode is 8 bit.  I might be wrong, but I don’t believe JPEG supports 8 bit (256 color) images.  Even if it does technically, the format is not really intended for 8 bit images, but rather 16 bit or higher.

When I generate an 8 bit indexed color image in Photoshop and look at the Save As menu, JPEG is not an option.  If I instead choose Save for Web which allows saving as JPEG, the resulting image re-opens in Photoshop in RGB (24 bit color) mode.

So as I read question, you’re getting a 24 bit image because you’re saving in JPEG format.

If you really want to save as 8 bit color, use PNG or GIF.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design