Help: Does anyone use legacy message box behavior?

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Tue Feb 7 17:13:00 EST 2017

> On 8 Feb 2017, at 3:04 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> I sent this a while ago, and oddly enough another message I'd sent lae came in but this one did not.
>
> After thinking about this some more, I wonder:  are you sure the LC IDE doesn't rely on this?
>
> My Message Box replacement sets the revMessageBox redirect to empty when it closes, and after doing so the LC IDE Message Box resumes normal behavior.

Yes it does use it but it also (at least the single line msg box) happens to conform to the old spec too (stack is named “Message Box”). Also it sets it when loading the message box so that might be fixing it for you.

> Is it necessary to remove the old behavior?

Not overly so, however, every line removed is something we don’t need to waste time maintaining. You might think we don’t need to touch it but it has been touched recently because of a change in the way we retain object references.

BTW our internal discussions have led us to consider dropping the message box redirect entirely and just sending msgChanged to the defaultStack which is inline with other messages. The less special cases in the way we do things the better. The IDE pubsub library can dispatch ideMsgChanged to any subscribers and they can do what they like. If it’s unhandled or passed to the engine then it can be sent to the appropriate system logs (or stdout… not sure which just yet and perhaps will depend on if its in no ui mode as there’s a legacy there).

Cheers

Monte