Help: Does anyone use legacy message box behavior?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 7 10:45:41 EST 2017

Graham Samuel wrote:

 > ...how would you use this feature, specifically in debugging a
 > standalone, and what’s wrong with it now?

The revMessageBox redirect allows you to use any field to display data
that would otherwise go to LC's Message Box; that is, any "put" without
a specified destination.

When combined with an input field for triggering commands and querying
functions and properties, you can effectively make a satisfyingly
full-featured Message Box replacement.

This allows you to query information at runtime in a standalone.

When these fields are part of a separate window they can be useful in
desktop apps, but they can also be contained within a group, which could
be shown and hidden as needed, for debugging in mobile apps as well.

I had thought revMessageBoxRedirect was already part of the standalone
engine, but apparently not.  Making it available to standalones opens up
very flexible options for poking around in a LC app.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems