Optimizing for small Android devices

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Dec 29 21:59:25 EST 2017

I certainly did not mean to imply by "only" that pointed to the market share of phones with 1 GB ram.

OT: I was just reading Quora about how US overwhelming Germany with sheer numbers of tanks and jets that had much lower specs than German made tanks/planes. But we won on our sheer industrial power to produce numbers.

so that's happening in Asia… but it's intereseting to see in your graph  that in India 2GB phones are approaching 1 GB phones..and other indicators for my target markey which are middle class youth primarily.. would put them in the 2-3GB phone market… but even this one is complaining about the app on Galaxy with 3 GB of RAM (Jacque he was not referring to his own phone but to others) FYI I mentioned this before… it's being driven by demonitization. every farmer and street seller needs a $20.00 smart phone just to seel his fish on the street. But that's not our audience.

and the article you linked to puts the "blame" (if you will), on the OS…

"While 2GB of RAM is enough for iOS to work smoothly, Android devices need more memory."

Musings:

So that make one wonder, how far should we expect LiveCode to optimize (and possibly compromise) it's stack, to work on Android?  Versus pushing for better displays transitions -- see Scott Rossi's incredioble "looking forward" on LC Global… the LC engine is really need to going to grow, change scale to stay in the game, easy rounded corners everywhere,, i.e. engine features that support our drive for more and better content.

We don't built utilities here, we build "culture" so I have to ask myself if we want to move forward creating our little "disney world on a phone" or if we need to rachet back to "simple caddy shack to hold a few clubs and golf balls." Frankly the latter is just not an option, our brains/production don't track like that at all.

End Musings:  back to ground:

I would not even know where to start to understand what to what extent an app is overloading RAM on Android.  How do we measure this stuff. At least on a linux web server I have TOP and easy I/O tools to tell us exactly what is happening. We need this for LC, ideally without our having to reinvent a monitoriing system.

I suppose the new script profiler should help us? but I don't really know where to begin.

At least, dealing with a lot internet connection is a "no brainer" but bigger questions leave us in the dark

Data Grid 2 versus a field, vs a group with sub-groups with many child object, built dynamically on the fly from a mySQL dbase. Does it make more sense to cache the data as an LC array vs MySql Query? and how do you measure what is going on… What is the most efficient way to fetch 150 k Plain text and style it on the fly, for display. (H1 heads,  lists, bold, space before and after… etc) in a field?

I feeding everything to the support team on this round… so they are getting to see it all.

Stay tuned… now back to building more content and studying out the script profiler….

On 12/29/17, 12:30 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Richard Gaskin via use-livecode" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

    > To what extent we can realistically fit this app onto a phone with
    > only 1GB of RAM… I don't know.

    "Only"?  That's a lot of phones....

    <https://mobiforge.com/news-comment/what-are-the-most-common-ram-specs-for-smartphones>