Optimizing for small Android devices

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed Dec 27 21:46:38 EST 2017

@ Andy (cc support)

Yes, I used tinyPng I have paid for their 50 image at a time option, awesome tool, I think we will get a site license of photoshop plug in…

The home card(s) (navigation "portals) on the app are one big parent scrolling parent group with some subgroups. max 8 "rows) with the mobile scroller set to scroll the group.

Of course a lot of libs have been put into memory with "start using" so besides the ~650K of images on the card there's another X number of lines of code.

But my gut says: something has to be wrong in the engine…

these crashes are coming from a Samsung Galaxy A7 , 2017 running 7.0

Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat)
Chipset 	Exynos 7880 Octa
CPU 	Octa-core 1.9 GHz Cortex-A53
GPU 	Mali-T830MP3
Memory 	Card slot 	microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
Internal 	32 GB, 3 GB RAM
Camera 	Primary 	16 MP (f/1.9, 27mm), autofocus, LED flash, check quality
Features 	Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR
Video 	1080p at 30fps, check quality
Secondary 	16 MP, f/1.9, 1080p

The beta tester in Kerala who has the above phone is sending me detailed reports on crash scenarios, and thanks to your tip, videos also.

Each stack we put into memory, after removing/closing the previous one, has very different requirements. We swap in and out a background graphic for almost all stacks, but these are less than 120K each for the whole card backgrounds…

One issue seems to be with the browser widget and low internet bandwidth… causing crashes…on iOS we just see a white screen "like forever…."

Of course we can do a better job (I tried by failed on first attempt) to use TS Net to monitor and help with that area… connectivity… but still  I just find it hard to believe that the stacks + images + code  we are deploying are overloading the hardware on a device with this much horsepower.

I'll need to do a deep dive into Aravind's reports and see if we can pin point more specifically what is happening. I just replicated a crash on iOS where the link to open a card with the browser widget caused a crash on iOS also… but can't reproduce it now…but I do smell a "little mouse" down around webKit somewhere…

but I can "hammer" like a teenager(amazing to watch how fast these kids tap and swipe on their devices) on my Pixel and the app never dies… So, another route is: take Aravind's recommendation and set the hardware requirements to 8.1 "Requires Oreo" and let the rest of the Android world wait/catch up… Not ideal, but with Google pushing so hard now on security and deadlines for new apps to run on the latest Android… it won't be long…

BR