advertising,again, and is anyone actually making money from it?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Dec 11 21:56:05 EST 2017

Mark Wieder wrote:

 > On 12/11/2017 03:29 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
 > > I don't know, I'm one of the six people on earth who doesn't have
 > > or want a Facebook account....
 >
 > I'm one of the other six. Never been tempted by it.

If you develop apps for others to publish, that can work well.  As a
personal experience it's a matter of taste.

But for publishers, or anyone doing any B2C marketing, Facebook is an
essential component.

In our modern world, it *is* the Internet for many, or at least a good
chunk of it.

Remember this article shared here last week or so (was this from
Alejandro?):
<https://staltz.com/the-web-began-dying-in-2014-heres-how.html>

Note Table 4 there, and this note above it:

    What has changed over the last 4 years is market share of traffic
    on the Web. It looks like nothing has changed, but GOOG and FB now
    have direct influence over 70%+ of internet traffic. Mobile internet
    traffic is now the majority of traffic worldwide and in Latin America
    alone, GOOG and FB services have had 60% of mobile traffic in 2015,
    growing to 70% by the end of 2016. The remaining 30% of traffic is
    shared among all other mobile apps and websites. Mobile devices are
    primarily used for accessing GOOG and FB networks.

Without a page on Facebook, a great many consumers will never know your
product exists.

This is the world we're in.  We don't need the end of Net Neutrality to
watch the Internet become controlled by a handful of companies.  It
already is: rather than ISPs it's the Big Four, Amazon, Apple, Facebook,
and Google.

Learn to do business with them or perish.  The net is now theirs, and we
gave it to them.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems