libUrl tsNet and socketTimeoutInterval

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Dec 10 14:46:43 EST 2017

@ Charles

It would appear that perhaps there is a possible global approach that could cover a wide variety of net access conditions.

am I being naïve or could it be this simple?

if we just have this running and available all the time

tsNetSetTimeouts… [add your params here]

tsNetSetStatusCallback "urlCallProgressUpdate"

on urlCallProgressUpdate
  # check the status of any and all URL download operations
  # give user feedback in case connection drops or transfers speed drops below low limit
end urlCallProgressUpdate

maybe that's really all that is needed. Then we don't worry about or code any kind of status monitoring into specific URL operations.

One could "dynamically" change the time outs if different scenarios called for allowing longer time spans, i.e users expect a wait while downloading a "package" but they the don't when loading a web page.

we might simply have this in back script for the whole app

command toggleNetMonitor  pBool
  if pBool = "true" then
      tsNetSetStatusCallback urlCallProgressUpdate
  else
    tsNetSetStatusCallback ""
  end if
end   toggleNetMonitor

I don't know if there is any overhead to leaving this call back be live "24-7-365" in the app or not… but this way we could turn it on and off if that is better practice.

BR