LC Server style survey: co-mingle code w/HTML?

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Wed Dec 6 13:51:22 EST 2017

It's impracticable for most hosting companies to keep a clients WordPress
installation up to date. All the plugins and themes need to be kept up to
date at the same time and sometimes need to be manually uploaded. There is
then a problem that if a host updates something and something breaks - who
would pick this up and who would be responsible for fixing the problem.
Then there are also updates that require manual intervention, like changes
to the database etc, and sometimes you may not want something updated
either.

There are a couple of hosting companies that offer this as a managed
service - but it comes at quiet a cost and you will face a limit as to what
plugins etc you can use.

While WordPress is considered secure and actively audited, most themes and
plugins are not, and problems do creep in. A website (not just WordPress)
that gets hacked can do a fair amount of damage, it affect other sites on
the server and when things like IP addresses get black listed, it's a bit
of nightmare for the host. Most hosts are pretty understanding (despite
what their terms and conditions may say) and if they discover a problem
they will notify you, or in serve situations take the site offline and ask
you to fix the problem, before putting the site live again.

While WordPress is a fantastic platform, it does require regular upkeep -
it's not something you can setup and just leave. There are dashboards you
can use (e.g. JetPack, WP Remote etc) that let you manage single or
multiple sites from a single location offering convenient way for keeping
an eye on what needs to be updated.

Simon

Carpe diem

*Simon Smith*
m. +27 83 306 7862

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <