Sending a message to users that floats above everything

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Thu Aug 24 08:55:19 EDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:14 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <

> On 8/24/17 12:22 AM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> My point was that unfortunately that only means ~15% of currently active
>> Android devices are fairly safe and Bob’s comment, while brief, was fair as
>> far as it was concerned. Once Android hits iOS’s ~85% active devices on
>> latest version of the os, then it wouldn’t be. I just don’t think that will
>> happen anytime soon because of the way the OS is rolled out through 3rd
>> parties for the most part.
>>

> Actually, I was trying to make the opposite point -- Google Play Services
> is now on (at least) 93% of all Android devices. It runs on any Android
> regardless of manufacturer or customized OS, provided the device is
> authorized to access the Google Play Store. It's had over 5 billion
> downloads and is, among other things, the security layer.
>
> https://www.androidcentral.com/genius-google-play-services
>
> It isn't only the "Google-made" phones that are protected, it's almost all
> of them now.
>
> --

This is very true.  My old China made tablet running Android 4.1.1 (no os
update has ever been available for it), continues to update Google Play
Services regularly.  I have never experienced any malware attacks, and the
device continues to serve me well in compatibility-testing of apps created
in LiveCode.

~Roger