notifications system using "the files"? bad idea?

Tom Glod tom at makeshyft.com
Wed Aug 23 16:25:08 EDT 2017

Hi folks, I'm building a notification system....and I don't want to add
another DB query to the system....so my idea is to save notifications as a
file in a folder, and the just read and process "the files" ....

so the name of the file would contain the notification data.... i wouldn't
have to read each file, just the list of files in the folder.

hoping to save some network traffic that way.

am I gonna regret this?...hit some kind of OS bottleneck?..... anybody have
any ideas why this would be a bad idea?

we build for all 3 desktop platforms.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tom