Sending a message to users that floats above everything

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Aug 21 13:25:59 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-21 17:41, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Monte's external works great on newer Android devices but seems to
> crash on older ones. That's why I had to replace it with a hacked up
> fake in my Android object library. There's a pull request in git for a
> native toast that is waiting for review and as soon as it's available
> I will switch to it. It's been waiting for a while, I hope it gets
> attention soon. Answer dialogs aren't appropriate for any OS any more.

Oops - that one slipped off our radar a bit (actually there's another PR
from HedgeHao which has been languishing for a while fixing a bug in the
browser widget... Sorry @HedgeHao). I'll see if I can get them sorted
out tomorrow.

I wonder whether the 'toast' one might make a nice example of using LCB
though - there are only three calls needed to do it. So I might convert
it to LCB as an exercise - it makes it easier for others to adapt; and
is a lot lower overhead than having it in C++/Java in the engine.
HedgeHao has already done the hard part of figuring out the APIs to use,
and how to use them :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

> --
>

> On August 21, 2017 6:28:54 AM Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode
> <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
>> I will check that out - thanks Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 21, 2017, at 5:18 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode
>>> <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Jonathan - how about a toast? (on Android that is), I haven’t tested
>>> it but I would assume it would appear above a browser…
>>>
>>> Monte did an external some time ago (mergAndroid I think) that I’m
>>> pretty sure included support for toasting :)
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Dave

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps