acceleratedRendering scope

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Aug 21 12:54:32 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-21 18:51, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Bob- I can report that accelerated rendering "steals" resources
> from the browser widget. I have to turn it off when displaying a 3D
> map in the browser widget, then turn it back on for scrolling groups.
> Otherwise, the map renders in a very clunky way, with large sections
> very distorted.

Is this on iOS or Android or both?

I'm not sure that's to do with any resource stealing - it's more to do
with the fact that the mobile OSes don't like mixing OpenGL based views
with non-OpenGL based views generally. You can limit the amount of
texture RAM accelRendering uses by setting the compositorCacheLimit (I
think that's the right property) which is the maximum number of bytes
the engine will use for the cache of tiles at any one time.

On iOS, in particular, putting a normal UIKit view (which the browser
widget is) on top of an OpenGL view (which accel render mode uses) tends
to make the OS not that happy. Of course, this might entirely depend on
device too!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps