htaccess rewrite rule to https let my apps stop working

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Aug 18 08:15:11 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-18 13:58, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I attached a certificate to our domain and started switching our domain
> /
> web from http to https, because of the security alerts of some browsers
> saying that our site isn't safe. So far so good. Our web hoster
> recommended
> to put a rewrite rule into the htaccess to redirect all http calls on
> https.
> So far so good. That works fine with all URLs in a browser.

I wonder if using a URL redirect, rather than rewrite might work better:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-temporary-and-permanent-redirects-with-apache-and-nginx

I might be wrong here but I think rewriting just changes the path which
apache uses to determine what to return; a redirect causes a
'Redirection' return value to the client so the client can refetch at
the (redirected) URL.

> I can't just change all URLs in all my LC programs from http to https,
> because my customers have lots of old version of my programs out there,
> which are not anymore maintained, which were created with any very old
> LC
> version I don't know anymore, etc.

Unless the distributed versions built with old versions of LiveCode were
built with HTTPS support built-in then they are very unlikely to work
with either a redirect or rewrite.

Even if you do a redirect/rewrite on the server, the client has to be
able to handle the protocol which the server produces correctly.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps