Livecode Mobile App in Background

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Aug 12 09:27:02 EDT 2017

One of things the engine doesn't give you notifications on suspend and resume - it is something on the todo list, however the last time we tried it turned out to be considerably harder than we thought (although that could be that we were overthinking things...).

In reality these kinds of notification are advisory at best, certainly under iOS they come with significant constraints which means that you have to be very careful what you do at those points.

Indeed, the 'brutal' truth is that if your app is suspended it means it is but a hairs breadth from being forcibly expunged - so the best thing to do is to ensure that at suitable points during user interaction you save the state you need to come back to that point. This means that even if your suspend handler (when we add that to the engine) does get terminated prematurely (which is a matter of wall clock time spent in it) that doesn't matter.

Indeed, working like that means that suspend and resume aren't really that relevant - the engine already turns off the things you need to when suspended and turns them back on when it resumes.

Putting it another way, save state as your app runs - don't wait for a suspend or quit notification as you may not have time in those to actually save everything you might need to. Saving state incrementally whilst in the foreground is a much more reliable approach.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone