Local File in Browser Widget on Android - Fail

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Aug 10 23:36:58 EDT 2017

make sure your slashes are all correct. on iOS and desktop  are forgiving with double// in URLs; but android is not.. .this bit me many times

file:/somepath/somefile.html

works

file://somepath/somefile.html

doesn't

So If you have path setters here and there, one needs to follow some convention, either leave folder string *always* with no closing slash and all appended url strings begin with a slash.. I started that way but this was always confusing to me because on web / means "from DOCROOT"   so slowly I am refactoring all these to

function path_Assets
    return specialFolderPath("documents") & "/assets/"
end path_Assets

then in any module we use

play sound (path_Assets() & "bells-whistles/ding.mp3")  because this is "relative" # very subjective..

So what started failing on Android --  really hard to debug!

where instances of

play sound (path_Assets() & "/bells-whistles/ding.mp3")

because these would work on Mac desktop and only fail on Android so you are beating your head "what is wrong."