how to get the value of a custom property if the name of the cProperty is in a variable?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Aug 8 11:15:40 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-08 17:09, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> In what circumstance would it be necessary to quote the property name?

The original case Dr Hawkins encountered was something along the lines
of:

local someVar
put 100 into someVar
put the someVar of me

Here, this will fetch the custom property '100'. Ideally you'd be able
to do

   put the "someVar" of me

Instead - the quoting indicating you want to use that *literal* value
for the
property name, instead of the variables context.

Another case is wanting to fetch custom property names which contain
chars you
can't have in an unquoted literal:

   put the "my property name with lots of words (and parantheses) too" of
me

Currently, using quoted literals in this case works for setting, but
doesn't
work for getting; and even a quoted literal will still resolve to a
variable
if one has been defined.

I think the latter is probably something which is unlikely to hurt
anyone if
tweaked though...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

> On August 8, 2017 6:05:21 AM Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
> <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
>> What doesn't work at the moment is if you have a var name which is
>> quoted:
>>
>>    local catness
>>    put "minimal" into catness
>>    set the "catness" of me to "very much"
>>    get the customProperties of me
>>    put the keys of it
>>
>> Will result in a key 'minimal' and *not* 'catness' - which is perhaps
>> not what would be expected.
>
> --

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps