Hackintosh

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 13:05:59 EDT 2017

On 8/3/17 6:33 pm, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> I don't see it that way. Apple has a choice to adhere to China's laws or no.

Well, money almost always talks louder than either morals or anything else.

>   China has a choice to allow the sale of Apple products in their country.

"Vhina" has NO choice at all; the Heads of the Brutal, Repressive
Communist Party who do NOT
properly represent the population of China have a choice.

> The world is full of totalitarian states, and the populations there also have a choice: To live with their present situation, or to revolt.

Well, it's a good thing people didn't feel like that during the Second
World War or
half of us would be living under Hitler's ghost and the other half of us
would be ash.

Despotic machines are often so efficient (cf. North Korea) that no one
could revolt even if they wanted to.

Cf. The Hungarian Uprising, the Prague Spring in Czechoslovakia, and so on.

As you have never lived in a totalitarian state you have never had to
deal with the reality of that,
and stating that people either have to "live with their present
situation, or to revolt" betrays a singular
lack of understanding re the nature of totalist states.

> I suppose despots start out wanting to make the world, or at least their world "a better place",

Very rarely; they just want the raw power and the "choccy-bikkies".

>   but as I always say, the devil is in the details.
>
> Bob S

Richmond.

>> On Aug 2, 2017, at 13:07 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>>
>> Apple's EULA may not actually be legal or legally enforcable in a large number of territories
>> where this Use-List is read.
>>
>> Just seen Tim Cook "sucking the kneecaps" of China's one-party state's leaders and blethering anent "adhering to the law" re VPNs.

I, at least, am well aware of what constitutes "a law" and what
constitutes "ruling by decree"; and everyone should be made aware of that
important distinction.