Hackintosh

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 17:24:10 EDT 2017

On 8/3/17 12:03 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
> > No, I don't think we have to respect Apple's policy at all.
>
> A similar view might ask whether the DevaWriter license terms need to
> be respected, or LiveCode Ltd.'s, or Stephen King's, or the
> protections afforded any creator of an original work.

<snip>

LOL.

I have just changed my Devawriter licensing system so that each
instantiation of it that I sell is tied to the MAC address of
an individual computer. Therefore there is nothing to respect, a chain
is a chain, and if someone manages to spoof Mac Addresses
on a large scale to use my program the fact that they would go to that
trouble proves it's a program worth having!

I have made my "licensing" system as hard as I can: I'm sure it can be
broken: whether it is worth going to that bother remains to be seen;
after all you can have a site licence for 10 machines at $200.

If I really wanted to make "my fortune" programming computers I wouldn't
be tinkering around in our spare bedroom at 55 anyway . . .

The reason I have changed it is because I know of someone who purchased
my Devawriter 3 years ago and now has copies all over the place:
my bad, I should have taken a bit more trouble: at least some people are
finally getting their heads around "Sanskrit As it Should Be":

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/home.html

Apple's policy is "just" Apple trying something on. A EULA is NOT a
legally binding agreement: if you choose to abide by it you
can feel "awfully" moral, much in the same sort of way I haven't
fathered 27 children with 27 mothers simultaneously (which, oddly
enough, is not illegal) makes me fell that I'm slightly more moral in
some respects.

I bought a 10 year-old Intel iMac about 8 months ago. I had the system
install disks from a Mac laptop of my wife's that went bang about 3
years ago.
Now I was probably breaking some sort of agreement by using those disks
to get my iMac going - possibly not "meant" to install on another Mac other
than the one they were bought with. Morally, as the one the disks came
with a dead computer I could see nothing wrong with using them to get
another, similar computer running; especially as I could find no way to
purchase Mac OS Lion disks from Apple.

LiveCode give away the Open Source version of their product. . .

Stephen King . . . well, if you really have to read his books you can
borrow them from the library . . . I read 3 of them in about 1984.

Love, Richmond.