Points of Graphic Oval

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Aug 2 16:44:17 EDT 2017

Heh - sometimes it takes a relative tome of justification to arrive at a simple explanation!

However the beauty of Bézier curves is that arcs are just a small subset of what they can represent 'well enough'.

For moving along an arbitrary (Bézier - you can represent a straight line segment as one trivially) path, what you actually need is first the length of the path (annoyingly not a representable function - iirc) and a parametric form of a Bézier curve (which is how they are best expressed).

Then to step along the path at fixed distance at each step you use f(n * fixeddist / length) (here f is the parametric form of the Bézier - returning a 2d point). You'd need some adjustment (+/- 1 pix) to account for rounding error - but I think the idea is sound.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone