Is there any reason not to create a self-installing app?

Matthias Rebbe matthias_livecode_150811 at m-r-d.de
Sun Apr 30 16:02:58 EDT 2017

> Am 30.04.2017 um 21:12 schrieb Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com <mailto:use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>>:
>
> For pc and maybe mac, it seems like it would be possible for the app to have two modes. On first open, it would take the user through an installation process where it handles saving the various files and sub folders, and adding the start menu stuff.
>
> When opened after that, it would just run normally.
>
> Are there advantages to doing it that way, rather than using an install-creator program?

The only advantage i would see is the fact that you do not have to rely on a 3rd party tool.

I for me prefer to use a 3rd party tool to create an installer for windows , in my case Innosetup or better said InstallGadget*.

Why, because an installer maker does all the work for me and i do not have to code that myself.

*A tool Monte created long time ago. It  uses Innosetup under the hood. The tool is very old, but is still working.  I replaced the older Innosetup files with current ones to support Windows 8 and 10. Unfortunately InstallGadget is not available any more. It was really so easy to create an installer with it.

For Mac i do not see a need for an installer if the program is just an app bundle. For such apps i am using DMG Canvas (http://www.araelium.com/dmgcanvas <http://www.araelium.com/dmgcanvas>) to create a DMG.

Matthias