Re: ❣an amazing article [Now way off topic]

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Apr 26 01:20:37 EDT 2017

On 4/25/17 11:27 PM, Phil Davis via use-livecode wrote:
> Well, this is "special". I see the name wasn't merged in.

As long as we're talking about spam/malware, maybe someone here knows
what happened to me two days ago. I've written to PayPal (no response)
and done searches without any real info and only a handful of hits.

Firefox received an update and on relaunch it attempted to reload all
previously open tabs. A small second window appeared and tried to load
this URL:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/hermes/fallback?product=ec&token=BA-4BN59940BV228700C&fallback=1&reason=bootstrap_failed&Z3JncnB0=

The window went into a loop, waiting for a response and retrying until I
cancelled the reload. I had cookies blocked and no PayPal tabs were open
or involved. I always log out of PayPal and close the tab when I'm done,
and was logged out when this happened. Firefox was reloading 7 tabs,
none pointing to PayPal (Asana, Slack, Google Drive, and other well
known sites.)

I quit and re-launched and got the same thing with the same URL, but
with a different token.

This spooked me. The URL points to an error page on PayPal that says,
basically, that something went wrong with the transaction and my account
hadn't been charged. I don't keep any financial passwords in Firefox so
I'm not worried about that, but how did that happen?

Yesterday Firefox had another update, right on the heels of the first.
Rather than click the Update button, I went to Mozilla and downloaded
the file manually. I closed all open tabs and quit Firefox, then
launched the new update. No ill effects.

Wha..?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com