Cognitive load

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 22 13:36:10 EDT 2017

Since cognitive load came up in the other thread about numberFormat,
some of you may find this paper very interesting:

Using Cognitive Load Theory to select an Environment for Teaching
Mobile Apps Development

Raina Mason, Southern Cross University
Graham Cooper, Southern Cross University
Simon, University of Newcastle
Barry Wilks, Southern Cross University

Abstract
--------
After considering a number of environments for the development of apps
for mobile devices, we have evaluated five in terms of their suitability
for students early in their programing study. For some of the evaluation
we devised an evaluation scheme based on the  principles of cognitive
load theory to assess the relative ease or difficulty of learning and
using each environment. After briefly presenting the scheme, we discuss
our results, including our findings about which mobile apps development
environments appear to show most promise for early-level programming
students.

Excerpt
-------
The computed averages are as follows:

TouchDevelop: 16%
LiveCode: 17%
App Inventor: 33%
Xamarin: 59%
Visual Studio: 65%
The mobile development environments that we evaluated fell clearly into
three groups. TouchDevelop and LiveCode, with threshold scores of less
than 20%,  permitted the development of code with the least relative
cognitive load. Despite the fact that it was designed for, and is
typically used for, novice programmers, App Inventor had double the
threshold score of these two environments, indicating a substantially
higher relative cognitive load. Both Visual Studio and Xamarin Studio
had threshold scores of around 60%, nearly double again, indicating
another substantial leap in the relative cognitive load required to
develop mobile apps in these environments.

<https://www.academia.edu/21401775/Using_Cognitive_Load_Theory_to_select_an_Environment_for_Teaching_Mobile_Apps_Development>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems