Downloads - Immodest Proposal

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Fri Apr 14 04:45:20 EDT 2017

Richard:
 > How they handle email address harvesting at the .com site for
 > the proprietary edition is, literally, their business.

My interest is primarily for the .com site, and I'm comfortable sharing
my opinion. Of course they have every right to their own decision too
and I have the deepest respect for that. In my experience LiveCode is a
company that does listen over time, so it's always interesting to have a
discussion, whatever the venue and final result, always in a friendly
spirit. That's a nice distinction you have to make a direct contact only
to the company about .com matters, but I didn't feel that way on this
particular topic, plus I can learn in the process and see what a few
other users think too!

While discussing this I should have added that I still LOVE the full
downloads page at downloads.livecode.com and even made a video about it
a while back. It could be an overwhelming page for non-geeks on their
very first day, but it's just right for many initiated users, even when
they are still fairly new to the LC world. Hope it will never go away. A
dynamic link at the top could help people quickly access the most
relevant version or two for their own platform, and there could be other
tweaks but I like the concept pretty much as it is.

One more observation is that I do see other companies requiring a signup
too, but interestingly enough the word "Download" is still sometimes
prominent in their signup mechanism! It's a nice call to action and can
be paired with other phrases to cover all the bases. Personally I like
to see a download at the beginning, that's me, but I had to chuckle
seeing how it's possible to have it both ways, with "Download" leading
to a sign up. And of course it's very true, people are signing up with
the goal of accessing those downloads. Pretty good approach.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting