Can we move the use-list to a Google Chat

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 30 21:43:35 EDT 2016

On 9/30/16 2:53 PM, William Jamieson wrote:
> I don't really understand the use-list's format

It isn't hard. Filter the emails into a folder in your email client, or
subscribe to the digest instead if you only want a single (large-ish)
email per day. The digest is a compilation of all posts in the last
24-hour period.

If you see something you want to respond to, hit "Reply" and start
typing, then send the email. It will go to the list. If you are replying
to a digest, please do remove all the posts except for a short exerpt
from the one you are answering. Some of the digests can get large and
you don't want to quote all of it.

> As a person who wants to be involved with the community, and seeing that
> the answers to a lot of problems and issues are contained in this massive,
> unindexed, scattered, blob, of words that spans thousands of emails in my
> inbox, I would like to make a plea to use any alternative that works.

It works very well for all of us who are here. This has come up many
times in the past and the listserve lives on. We like it.

Nabble has been mentioned if you need to search. There's a duplicate
archive at Gmane as well, with a slightly different interface:
<http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.revolution.user>

Some of us save snippets of useful material in a LiveCode stack, or text
files, or whatever system they prefer. For retrieving old info I didn't
save, I generally hit Nabble.

I depend on the list for the fastest responses possible because not only
is someone always awake and reading it, but most of the pros are here
and they often have answers to fairly obscure problems. I read the
forums via its email digest because that comes to my mailbox as well. I
never visit the forums unless I see something in the digest I want to
answer.

I don't have time to actively peruse a web site, and web sites are far
slower to navigate than emails, even with a fast connection (which not
everyone has.) Basically, if the info doesn't come to me, I won't see it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com