How to make my app keep running in the bg

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 29 20:41:58 EDT 2016

AFAIK, you can't do this on iOS for just a timer.  I was told from someone
high up in Apple that the phone will automatically end or reset a
backgrounded app after roughly 10 minutes or so (at most).  Audio is a
different story, because Apple allows music-playing apps to run when
backgrounded, but I imagine you'd need to make use of Apple's native music
player for this to work.  I'm not sure if the native LC player qualifies
-- have you already tried backgrounding an LC app with the native player
running?

Don't expect to fool Apple by enabling a non-music-playing app to keep
itself active by playing sound.  I was told this story: Apparently several
versions back, Facebook came out with a version of their mobile app which
included a player that played silence when backgrounded, as a means to
keep itself active.  Apple discovered the behavior and slapped Facebook on
the wrist, after which Facebook claimed it was a bug that was introduced
by mistake.

It's possible the Apple has changed it policy on this over the last year
or so, but I doubt it.  Google may be more forgiving with Android.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 9/29/16, 5:16 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero"
<use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of