"lightening" a color

Tore Nilsen tore.nilsen at me.com
Sat Sep 10 19:09:24 EDT 2016

Since white in the rgb space is made by adding max value of all three primary colours, and getting the colour will give you a list of numerical values in the form of 255,0,0 for maximum red, 0,255,0 for maximum green and 0,0,255 for maximum blue, you can always change any of these values to produce a paler shade.

You can either decrease the value for the primary colour you want but this will very soon change the colour to a darker colour, or you can increase the value of the other colours. If you increase the value of the other colours, setting the different amount of these will give a different colour, not a paler shade of the original colour.

If you start out with a maximum red colour (255,0,0) and change the values of green and blue to 128 each, you will get a pink colour (255,128,128). The same goes for green (128,255,128) and blue (128,128,255). The higher the value of the two colours you change, the lighter the overall result.

Regards
Tore