Threading (plus random question)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Sep 9 16:05:44 EDT 2016

Mike Kerner wrote:

 > On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> Mark Wieder wrote:

 >>> That's alt-tab. (Command-tab on macs).
 >>
 >> Indeed it is.  My bad.
 >> Since modern use seems to be application-defined, the only conflict
 >> we have is with its current use in LiveCode:  as with browsers, the
 >> LC Script Editor supports Ctrl-Tab to switch left-to-right between
 >> tabs (with Ctrl-Shift-Tab to navigate right-to-left between tabs)
 >
 > But it looks like line 1 of his script handles that.

Given that Mark's very thorough it's not surprising he's accounted for that.

That's the point I was raising, about diligence:

Any shortcut conflict with an existing feature need not absolutely
prevent a plugin from overloading it.

But when we're looking at the more common shortcuts (such as those with
a single modifier key, like Ctrl-Tab), we need to study the existing
feature set well enough to know where conflicts may occur, and then be
prepared to write additional code to accommodate those cases.

Plugins are easy to write; plugins with features that can be triggered
from common single-modifier-key shortcuts, sometimes not so much.

For that we need Wieder-quality thoroughness. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems