Autodiscovery of LAN devices

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Fri Oct 28 02:57:01 EDT 2016

On 28/10/2016 01:58, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Armed with that I just attempt a TCP connection to each device in turn,
> looking for a specific reply.  When I get what I expect, I know I've
> reached my app on the other machine.  Takes less than a second to scan
> the network.

Note that more advanced organisational networks' self-protection logic
will (correctly) interpret this as a port scan and will automatically
turn off your connection.

You really do need Zeroconf/Bonjour/Avahi/mDNS/etc. support...

                                                 Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager