Understanding 'the defaultStack'

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 15 10:53:46 EDT 2016

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 >> On Oct 8, 2016, at 13:22 , Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>> The rule Dr. Raney gave me is that the defaultStack is the topmost
 >>> visible stack of the lowest mode.
 >>
 >> On Oct 14, 2016, at 14:21 , Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
 >> Just tested in 8.1.1 RC 2: Two stacks open, one stack is the
 >> topStack and is the defaultStack.
 >>
 >> Setting that stack’s visible to false keeps it as the defaultStack
 >> and the topStack.
 >

 > That breaks Dr. Raney's rule.

It's been nearly two decades since I had that conversation with Dr.
Raney.  As I noted earlier, and as Jacque and Peter confirm, it's likely
I was just mistaken - it seems the actual rule is even simpler:

   The defaultStack is the topmost stack with the lowest mode.

 > I'm not sure who I am anymore...

Unless you've experienced a problem with it, just keep doing what you're
doing.  It seems to be working as expected for most people in most
circumstances.  We have more posts here exploring its definition than
about problems relating to its behavior.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems