Understanding 'the defaultStack'

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Oct 14 17:01:05 EDT 2016

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Seems to me one unexpected outcome would be if you had the command
 > "hide me" early in the script of a stack where another stack was
 > visible, and then made references dependent on the defaultStack being
 > the one hidden.

I think maybe one of the reasons we've seen more posts exploring the
definition of defaultStack than we see complaints about its behavior is
that in practice it's rarely needed.

I use topStack often but mostly in dev tools; in my own apps I tend to
use custom functions to distinguish windows by semantic role rather than
behavioral modality.

I can't recall the last time I needed defaultStack.  It may well have
been quite recently, but it must being doing what I expected it to do
since I've never had to think about it before this thread.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems