Understanding 'the defaultStack'

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Oct 8 17:12:58 EDT 2016

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 10/8/16 3:22 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> The rule Dr. Raney gave me is that the defaultStack is the topmost
>> visible stack of the lowest mode.
>
> I thought visibility might impact it (I believe that's the case with
> Graham's stack) so I did some quick tests and even though there was a
> visible mode-1 topstack, going to the invisible one did change the
> defaultstack. Thus, my curiosity.
>
> I.e.:
>
> Stack One
> visible
> topstack
> mode 1
>

> command: go stack stackTwo
>
> stackTwo
> visibility false
> mode 1
>
> command: put the defaultstack
> -> stackTwo
>

> So...?

Personally I'd consider that a bug.  Even if visibility was never part
of a formal definition, so much of the learnability of xTalk rests on
being able to predict outcomes based on what we see.  The layering of a
window visibly changes if a window above it becomes hidden, all the way
down to how the OS renders the drag region.

To me it seems logical that an invisible window should be expected to
require special handling if another window of the same mode is visible.

I can't think of a case where the behavior you've documented would be
either anticipatable or desirable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems