Understanding 'the defaultStack'

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Oct 8 15:31:38 EDT 2016

On 10/8/16 10:37 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 10:50 PM, Mark Wieder <ahsoftware at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> FWIW I think Jacque's explanation is the better of the two.
>> I think maybe LiveCode should ship <a copy of> her with every new build of
>> the dictionary.
>>

> on revBuildDictionary
>
> clone Jacque
>
> set the mainStack of it to stack revDictionary
>
> end revBuildDictionary
>
> :)

Well, I'm flattered guys, but unfortunately every time I clone myself
the variants lose track of each other and efficiency fragments. Git
might be better. ;)

But I'm not the right choice anyway because I don't know some of this
myself -- I have seen cases where the defaultstack doesn't follow the
rule, or uses some criteria I don't understand, where "go" doesn't set
the defaultstack automatically. I haven't yet pinned down a recipe.
Usually I just set it by script and move on.

I think that was the case with Graham's stack too. Some quirky rule is
interfering, or else it's a bug. If so, it's been there a long time.

It would be great if someone could look at the source code and give us a
list of how the engine determines the defaultstack. Then I could write
it down, wait until everyone else forgets about it, and then post it
like I know everything...

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com