[OT] Hosed Xubuntu system

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 23:28:01 EST 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Richmond Mathewson
<richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am slowly recovering my stuff: estimated completion about 2 weeks . . .

Ouch. But surely a better Disk Utility Tool would help reduce that.
It's unlikely that the files are gone; especially if the computer was
working last night. GParted seems to be a basic Disk Utility program,
not a Disk Repair program. Here is a list of some that might help:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-linux-rescue-tools-for-recovering-linux-windows-or-mac-machines/

> I was naive enough to think that backing up data onto other hard drives
> within the same computer was safe.

As above; it's more like that the catalog files and the 'structure'
that points to all the 1 and 0's has been mangled but the actual files
are still in their location and with a good Repair program can be
retrieved - saving you well over a weeks worth of time.

> I was unaware that there was malware for Linux :(

That has to be the quote of the Decade.