autoScript

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:55:13 EST 2016

I am very, very far from being a purist, lest you have not worked that
out many long years ago.

When I submitted a Master's degree thesis in Applied Linguistics at
Southern Illinois University
at Carbondale I was criticised by 2 out of 3 of my degree committee for
not sticking to 'pure'
Cognitive Linguistics, but pinching bits from Functionalism, and even
(Ouch) drawing on
Philosophy of Language. I told the defence team that I didn't like
barriers between disciplines, and as
Cognitive Linguistics criticised Chomsky's Generative Linguistics for
relying on sharply defined categories, there should be nothing wrong
with my not stopping within any sharply defined
"Congnitive Linguistics" boundaries, and that as my first degree was in
Philosophy (rather more
empirical than rational) I really wasn't convinced that 'Linguistics'
wasn't a discipline invented by
failed Philosophers who couldn't tackle Philosophy of Language for fear
of getting their feet wet.

The world does not deal is 'purity', and, indeed, 'purity' may be a
socking great delusion that has
caused the human race no end of problems.

Now my approach to coding (whether in Livecode or elsewhere) is like my
approach to EFL teaching:
unless it is illegal, harmful or obviously immoral, as long as it gets
the job done that's fine.

Somebody the other day accused me of being a "computer programmer", at
which point I just
stopped myself laughing in their face; while they intended that to be a
compliment, I'm not
really sure if I like it. I would far rather see myself as a person who,
when he has a job to get done,
tries, by any means possible, to get it done.

This is, exactly, one of the reasons I like Livecode so much: it lends
itself to all styles of "getting things done" !

Richmond.